Sunday, April 5, 2009

Les Marchés

    The markets here are absolutely amazing. Every Saturday, we take a trip to the market in Apt, a large market with anything from produce to Provençal staples to touristy knick-knacks. It’s the oldest market in France, drawing crowds for a couple thousand years. It spreads through the city center, and everywhere you can hear vendors shouting their latest deals or sharing a friendly chat with a friend they haven’t seen in awhile. The smells of roasting chicken, cheese, freshly baked bread, and overripe produce overwhelm the senses. It’s colorful and hectic and wonderful. 


    We rarely have enough time to truly enjoy the market, so a few friends and I have decided to go with the group one week and just stay and take a taxi back later in the day. That way we can stay to thoroughly enjoy the market, the city, and a wonderful café lunch. 


    Apt is also convenient for us because of the Intermarché, a small grocery store, for things like detergent and the like, and the small art store in town that is surprisingly well stocked. Part art store, part hardware store, it’s a curious site.


    Some, if not most, Sundays, we take a trip to Isle sur la Sorgue. Our first trip there was today, and we most certainly did not have enough time. The market is the biggest in Provence, and one of the biggest in France, known for its wealth of antiques. Antique brocantes line the streets around the city, grouped into about seven clusters. In the city center, a market sprawls down every street, much like the Apt market, but bigger. In addition to the wares in Apt, here one can find little flea market-like stands with an odd assortment of baubles, children’s rides, all sorts of clothing, a wider variety of food stands, and even small carnival games for the kids.  The picture above is from Isle sur la Sorgue, but I can’t take credit for it -- that’s all Google. I plan to go back with a camera in hand next time, but just taking in as much of the market as possible in our short amount of time was overwhelming enough. 


    The city is often referred to as the “Venice of Provence” for it’s situation over a canal. The canal runs fast and cold, and is astonishingly clear. Several moss-covered water wheels spin in parks across the city, providing glittering decoration. The church is beautiful from the outside, but I have yet to make it in. Next time. 


    Aside from our weekend market trips, classes are going well. I have my first finished piece for the gallery tomorrow, and I’ve applied for the student gallery coordinator position. I’m getting to know other students here, which is good. It’s a bit difficult, being one of the few who seems to have come on their own. Also, most people are here with their major, unlike me, so they know a lot of people from previous classes. I can’t say I’m upset I didn’t come with fashion, though... The spring here is gorgeous, and I don’t necessarily mind having the time to myself. I’m really enjoying the slower pace of life here. The village is quietly bursting with life, and the locals are warm and friendly, not the snobby French stereotype of the Parisians. It’s nice to be able to spend afternoons wandering down to the boulangerie, then relaxing on the terrace with a baguette and wheel of local cheese. 


    Other good news, I’ve found an internship for the summer! I’ll be working at a very small fashion company called MacMillan in London. Though small, the line has quickly blossomed. MacMillan has shown at NYC Fashion week for four years now, and just showed in London for the first time this past season. Because of the small size, I’ll be the only intern, so I know there will be much to learn. Needless to say, I’m quite excited.


    Anyway, I’m off to finish homework! Busy week ahead, full of work and travel. Sorry for the sparse updates -- I’ll try to update once a week, probably with two or three blog posts each time. The internet is not exactly reliable, which makes the upload process somewhat difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment